Josef Sheekey was a seafood stall holder who first opened an oyster bar on St Martin's Court in 1896. The restaurant was restored to its former glory in 1998, its four inter-connecting rooms hung with original pictures of actors from throughout the 20th century that reflect its central position in the theatre world. Both casts and audiences flock here for immaculately sourced and perfectly prepared seafood - dressed crab, shellfish and the famous fish pie - and to continue the evening's entertainment. In 2008, it was joined by the more informal J Sheekey Oyster Bar next door, whose horseshoe-shaped central dining bar and photographs of 21st-century theatrical luminaries by Alison Jackson echo the original restaurant, as does its popularity.
The World of Fine Dining
For the latest awards, ratings, interviews, news and insider restaurant information
See our newsletter archive here.
Follow us on