Chocolate Financier from the patisserie team at Ormer, Mayfair
Cook at Home
Chocolate cake always gets a warm welcome whatever the weather and this chocolate financier will not disappoint. Prepared by Head Chef Kerth Gumbs and his pastry team at Ormer Mayfair, the cake is pictured along with some of the other delicacies served for afternoon tea.
For the chocolate financier
- 155g butter
- 184g sifted icing sugar
- 64g almond flour
- 43g pastry flour
- 21g cocoa powder
- 155g egg white
- 1 pod vanilla
- 10g salt
For the passion fruit ganache
- 200g passion fruit purée
- 35g honey
- 480g milk chocolate
- 90g butter
To make the chocolate financier
- Brown the butter, stirring constantly to prevent the milk solids from burning.
- Set aside to cool down.
- Line a tray with paper.
- Make a soft meringue with the egg whites, icing sugar, vanilla, and salt by beating the ingredients on medium speed.
- Note: add the sugar in 3 stages (not all at once).
- Sift the cocoa powder and flour together then whisk in the almond flour.
- Fold the dry ingredients above into the meringue with a spatula.
- Add the butter at room temperature and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the lined baking tray and bake at 175˚C for 10-12 minutes or until done.
- Check with a toothpick.
To make the passion fruit ganache
- Bring the passion fruit and honey to a boil.
- Pour over melted milk chocolate in three stages, mixing well with a spatula.
- Then add the butter and blend.
- Slice the chocolate financier when cool and serve with the passion fruit ganache.
Chef tips: This passion fruit ganache is versatile and can be used with a variety of pastries.
You can also freeze any leftover ganache, should you wish to use it at a later stage.
Ormer, Flemings Hotel, 7-12 Half Moon Street, Mayfair, London W1J 7BH
Cook at Home – Dine at Home – Dine at Restaurant
with the Luxury Restaurant Club
Not a member? Become a Luxury Restaurant Club Member to gain exclusive privileges at the UK’s most awarded restaurants, from £8 per month