Cocktail, Lifestyle Articles, Lists, Luxury Restaurant Guide Loves, Miscellaneous, Recipes, The Best of
SHAKE IT UP for National Cocktail Day 24th March
Cookery Schools, Miscellaneous, Recipes
Chef's Recipe - Easter Treat - Chocolate Crumble Tart from Lainston House
Chef’s Recipe – Lobster Salad Recipe from Shay Cooper at The Goring
Officially it’s Spring and the clocks spring forward this weekend, so let’s forget the cold outside and indulge in a taste of Spring inside, with this lovely fresh recipe from Michelin-starred The Goring’s Head Chef Shay Cooper.
LOBSTER SALAD RECIPE – Serves four
- 2 (Approx. 900g each) native lobster
- 1 leek
- 1 celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 bunch of parsley stalks
- 1 lemon
- 5 litres of water
- 1 bottle of white wine
- 500g of fresh peas (shelled)
- 4 heads of young fennel
- 200g shelled broad beans
- 1 bunch radishes
- 4 baby carrots
- 4 spear asparagus
Tomato tarragon dressing
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 85 g Heinz ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops tabasco
- 150ml rapeseed oil
- 100g shallot (diced)
- 100g tomato (diced)
- 1 tsp tarragon
- 1 tsp chervil
- 1 tsp chives
- 2 bags of mixed salad leaves and herbs
- To cook the summer vegetables, put a large pot of salted water on the boil and blanch each vegetable one at a time until tender, ensuring to refresh in an ice bath after each blanch.
- Drain from the ice bath and place on a tray lined with a J-cloth to remove excess water.
- Start preparing the court-bouillon (flavoured liquid for poaching or quick-cooking) by bringing the water to the boil with wine, carrot, celery, leek and parsley.
- Place the lobster in the freezer for 30 minutes until they are non-reactive, remove the claws from the body and drop into the boiling court bouillon.
- Cook the bodies for four minutes and the claws for six and a half minutes, remove from the stock and place straight into ice water to stop the cooking.
- Once cold remove the shells from the lobster. Cut the tails in half and slice the claws into elegant pieces.
- Cook the diced shallots with the rapeseed oil slowly until tender and without any colour then allow to cool.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients together and add seasoning to taste.
- Season the lobster tails and pieces with a little olive oil, salt and lemon juice and decoratively arrange on four plates.
- Dress the summer vegetables in a little vinaigrette and delicately place around and over the lobster.
- To finish, decoratively spoon the tomato vinaigrette around the salad, adding the dressed salad leaves and herbs last.
- You could also add a couple of croutons as texture, however this is optional.
Alternatively, why not dine at The Goring and enjoy Shay Cooper’s award-winning cuisine in person. Also enjoy a glass of champagne when dining with the Luxury Restaurant Club. See club details here.