Chef's Recipe: Fillet of Halibut with Bacon Jam
Afternoon Tea, Events, Lifestyle Articles, Luxury Restaurant Guide Loves, Member offers, Miscellaneous
What's On Over Easter at the Finest Hotels & Restaurants
Chef’s Recipe : Kohlrabi Ravioli from ‘Planted’ by Chantelle Nicholson of Tredwells
Chantelle Nicholson has firmly established herself as one of the UK’s most recognised chefs for Vegan and plant-based recipes. Although not all the dishes she creates at Tredwells are plant-based, Chantelle prides herself on focussing on the amazing produce the UK has to offer and not overcomplicating the dishes.
This Kohlrabi Ravioli offers a great alternative traditional pasta using thinly sliced kohlrabi in its place and is great as an impressive starter.
KOHLRABI RAVIOLI RECIPE
- 2 large kohlrabi, peeled
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp avocado oil
FOR THE PEA GUACAMOLE
- 1 avocado, halved, stoned and peeled
- 8 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 8 coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 100g frozen peas
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely diced
- Zest and juice of ½ lime
- ¼ tsp wasabi paste
- Sea salt and freshly milled black pepper
FOR THE AVOCADO OIL AIOLI
- 30g aquafaba
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 40ml olive oil
- 50ml avocado oil
- ½ tsp table salt
- Pea shoots
- Edible flowers
- 2 tsp Baked Citrus Jam (see below)
BAKED CITRUS JAM
- 2 lemons (or equivalent approximate weight of other citrus fruit)
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6. Put the whole fruit on a foil-lined baking sheet or roasting dish. Bake for 40 minutes until golden and soft. Allow to cool, then blend with the sugar, oil, salt and 25ml of water. Add more water if necessary to form a thick ‘jam’.
1) Using a mandolin, thinly slice the kohlrabi into rounds about 2mm thick. You should have 24 rounds in total. Whisk the rice wine vinegar and avocado oil together to make a vinaigrette.
2) For the guacamole, put all the ingredients into a blender and pulse until a semi-smooth purée is formed. Season to taste.
3) For the avocado oil aioli, whisk the aquafaba, mustard, garlic and rice wine together until combined. Slowly drizzle in the oils, whisking continuously until fully incorporated. Season to taste.
4) To assemble, brush half of the kohlrabi rounds with the vinaigrette. Place 1 teaspoon of the guacamole in the centre of each round then top with another round of kohlrabi. Gently press on the edges of the rounds to seal the ‘raviolis’.
5) Divide the raviolis between 4 serving bowls and season with salt and black pepper. Garnish with pea shoots and edible flowers and serve with the aioli and citrus jam.
Alternatively, head to Tredwells and experience the dishes created by Chantelle Nicholson and her exceptional team first hand. Enjoy a complimentary glass of House Champagne or sparkling wine as chosen by the Sommelier when dining with the Luxury Restaurant Guide. Download the free luxury restaurant finder app here and follow steps to join the club.