Sausage Casserole by Adam Handling
Cook at Home
Adam Handling started out at Gleneagles 16 years ago where he was the first ever apprentice chef, before he went on to become Fairmont’s first youngest ever Head Chef. This hearty casserole is the perfect dish to enjoy on any cold winter’s night.
- 9 sausages (any good sausages – can be more than 1 type e.g. chorizo, Italian)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 bunch picked thyme
- 5 fresh tomatoes, peeled
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 500ml chicken stock
- 2 tins mixed beans
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch table salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 50ml soy sauce
- 50ml rice wine vinegar
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 250°C and roast the sausages for 5 minutes.
- Pan fry the onions, garlic, chilli and thyme in olive oil, until golden.
- Add rock salt to release the moisture from the onions.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Once boiled, add the roasted sausages and mixed beans.
- Season with paprika, salt and black pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and let it sit on medium heat for approximately 4-5 hours or until it thickens.
- In a separate bowl, mix the soy sauce with the vinegar and sugar.
- Take the casserole off the heat and add the soy sauce mixture, to give the casserole a sweet and sour flavouring.
- Finish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Pour everything into a casserole dish.
- Cover the mix with thinly sliced potatoes, before putting it into the oven at 160°C for 1hr.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 45 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Frog by Adam Handling, 34/35 Southampton Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2E 7HF
Cook at Home – Dine at Home – Dine at Restaurant
with the Luxury Restaurant Club
Not a member? Become a Luxury Restaurant Club Member to gain exclusive privileges at the UK’s most awarded restaurants, from £8 per month