Salt-baked Lamb Shoulder from Executive Chef Adam Smith of Michelin-starred Restaurant Coworth Park
Cook at Home
This delicious recipe for salt-baked lamb shoulder from Coworth Park’s Executive Chef, Adam Smith is accompanied by an English feta, cucumber and mint salad. Adam Smith is the creative force behind Michelin-starred Restaurant Coworth Park and The Barn.
For the lamb
- 1- 1.2kg lamb shoulder, on the bone
- 900g strong flour
- 30g rosemary
- 30g thyme
- 300g salt
- 9 egg whites
- 220g water
For the salad
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 bunch of mint
- 250g English feta cheese
- 20 pitted black olives
- 200g roasted almonds
- 100g toasted pine nuts
- 2 lemons
- 500g Greek yoghurt
- good olive oil
- smoked paprika
- Pick all the leaves from the thyme and rosemary, place into a food processor with the salt and blitz until fine, then add the flour and blitz for a further minute. Slowly add the egg whites and water until a smooth paste forms.
- Remove from the food processor, knead on the table, then rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After resting, roll the pastry until around 1cm thick, place the lamb shoulder onto of the pastry and wrap around ensuring there are NO holes or gaps in the pastry.
- Place on a baking tray and into the oven at 220°C for 20 min, then turn the oven down to 140°C and cook for 4 hours. Rest for 40 mins before serving.
- To prepare the salad, slice the cucumber length ways about 3mm thick using a mandolin.
- Dice the cheese and chop the black olives.
- In a large bowl add the cucumber, diced feta cheese, almonds, pine nuts and black olives.
- Season with lemon juice and dress with olive oil. Tear the mint and mix in the salad.
- Season the Greek yoghurt with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and zest and juice of a lemon.
- To serve, place the bowls of salad and yoghurt in the middle of the table, cut a lid in the top of the salt pastry and fork the meat from the bone.
Coworth Park Hotel, Blacknest Road, Ascot, Berkshire, SL5 7AX
Cook at Home – Dine at Home – Dine at Restaurant
with the Luxury Restaurant Club
Not a member? Become a Luxury Restaurant Club Member to gain exclusive privileges at the UK’s most awarded restaurants, from £8 per month