With its black and white decor, David Bailey photographs and long dining bar, Le Caprice is a model of urban elegance, but its reputation runs deeper. Opened in 1947 by Mario Gallati, former Maitre d' of The Ivy, it was relaunched in 1981 and quickly became a social institution with a devoted international clientele who enjoy unsurpassed service and a lively atmosphere, expertly marshalled by its Director, Jesus Adorno.
In September 2011, the restaurant received a design refresh by Martin Brudnizki with touches including black oak panels, bevelled mirrors and a new black marble floor with white double inlay border. A larger reception area was created by a back-lit ivory onyx bar with granite counter and 12 dining stools. Outside, royal blue awnings and topiary planters adorn the terrace for all-day dining overlooking the bustle of St James's.
At the heart of Le Caprice's renown is an always fresh and imaginative modern British and European menu sourced from the finest suppliers; a typical light might include grilled squid with chorizo, padron & datterini tomatoes, Blytheburgh pork belly with rosemary roasted roots & apple mash and San Daniele ham.